Support in schools

Information about SEND support in schools.

By law, every school and nursery must provide support for pupils with SEND. This includes state schools, academies and free schools. You can read more about the SEND code of practice

Schools must contact you if they think your child has any special educational needs. Your child does not need a medical diagnosis first.

Often a person is identified as having SEND early on in their life. If you're worried about your child, you can speak to your doctor or a healthcare professional.

If your family is new to the country and your child has special educational needs, you should contact the school admissions team. They will help you find a mainstream school place for your child.