Financial advice and support

Information about financial advice and support available to families.

Here you will find information about financial advice and support services available to families. 

Financial advice and support

Disabled Student Allowance (DSA)

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance.

You will not need to repay your Disabled Student Allowance.


Disabled Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • are under 16 year olds, 
  • has difficulties walking or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability.

More information about DLA can be found here: 

How to complete a DLA form 

Carers Leeds and Irwin Mitchell have produced a video for families to support you in completing a Disability Living Allowance (DLA) form.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is money for people who have extra care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of a disability. You can no longer make a new claim for DLA if you are 16 or over.

If you have any questions about anything in the video you can contact Carers Leeds on 0113 380 4300 or

Carers Allowance

You may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance if you, the person you care for and the type of care you provide meets certain criteria.

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

  • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Child Disability Payment - the middle or highest care rate
  • Adult Disability Payment - daily living component at the standard or enhanced rate

More information about Carers Allowance and how to apply can be found here.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability.

The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You’ll be assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get. Your rate will be regularly reviewed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

Contact Details:



Scope’s Disability Energy Support service provides free energy advice to any household where a disabled person lives across England and Wales.

They can offer support with:
• Energy debt
• Switching tariffs or supplier
• Changing your meter
• Green energy
• Becoming more energy efficient
• Accessing energy benefits, grant and trusts
• Contact or complaining to your supplier
• Understanding your bills
• Understanding how to use your heating systems
• Free pre-payment fuel vouchers (conditions apply)

Contact Details:

National support

Family Fund

Family Fund supports families living across the UK who are who are raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young person up to the age of 24.

Family Fund believes that families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people should have the same choices, quality of life, opportunities and aspirations as other families. We try to make this happen every day by:

  • Giving grants to families on a low income for items they may not otherwise be able to afford (for example family breaks, digital equipment, white goods, clothing, bedding, furniture and play equipment.)
  • Offering services to help parents and carers to achieve the outcomes they want for their child and family. This includes where to go for support with money, benefits and budget planning, information on mental health and wellbeing, as well as practical workshops to help people get online and use digital tools.
  • Providing ways for families to share their experiences, so they can influence lasting change on issues that matter to them.

Who can apply?

Our eligibility criteria are based on the social model of disability. To decide if your family is eligible for a grant, Family Fund looks at your income and the impact of disability on your child.

You can read more about our Eligibility Criteria here.

Children and young people do not need a diagnosis to meet our criteria.

How can I apply?

You can apply for a Family Fund grant if you are the parent or carer of a disabled, or seriously ill, child or young person, and you meet our eligibility criteria. Click here to find out how you can apply.

Contact Details 

Financial help if you are disabled

There is a wide range of disability-related financial support, including benefits, tax credits, funding, grants and concessions.

To find out what financial support is available to carers visit 

Personal budgets and direct payments

Personalised Budgets, including Direct Payments are available to children and young people who have more complex needs and have had an assessment to help meet their needs.

Click here to visit our personal budgets and direct payments page for more information.